Becoming an EMT is the first step if you wish to volunteer with CARS. These classes are not necessarily affiliated with CARS, so please contact the instructor with questions about any specific class.
- Hybrid EMT class offered by Emergency Training Solutions. This class offers didactic learning online with hands-on lab sessions each week.
- Albemarle County Fire Rescue offers multiple classes each year. The fee for those classes can be waived if you submit an application to CARS and commit to volunteering with us for 2 years after becoming certified.
Register for these classes through the ACFR Training Division.
- For UVA students, EMT class is available as NUIP 4004 and is generally taught in the fall. Enrollment is by instructor permission only; first and second years who commit to volunteering with CARS for 2 years after becoming certified are more likely to be accepted. This class typically extends 5 weeks into the following semester due to the time needed to prepare for the EMT exam.
- Traditional EMT class offered by CATEC. The Charlottesville-Albemarle Technical Education Center offers a class in conjunction with Piedmont Virginia Community College.
- Search for EMT certification classes using the Virginia Office of EMS website.
RNs, LPNs, and PAs can become certified without taking the full EMT course. Contact EMT_training@rescue1.org for more info.